Melodrama Interlude


 Melodrama is New Zealand artist Lorde’s second epochal studio album. Supernatural, and indeed melodramatic, the masterpiece was released in 2017. I discovered this album nearly three years after its release and was instantly captured by its mesmerizing and hypnotic disposition. I came upon the album in the summer of 2020. AKA the summer of the pandemic, toilet paper shortages, and feeling lonely. One of the most influential lessons I learned through that period was that making memories with yourself is just as significant as making memories with others. I made memories with myself through music, specifically through Melodrama. Don't wait for the storm to be over; don't let the best years of your life go to waste. If there was one phrase I would use to describe the metaphysical feeling this album gives off it would be "teenage fever". Melodrama is the type of album that you would listen to on a perfect summer night. It expresses the tender sentiment of being a teenager only once. The fact that I am still obsessed with it, nearly two years later, shows that this album is not an infatuation, as most things are. In honor of the approach of Melodrama's fifth anniversary, I will be composing the melodramatic series: Teenage Fever. Until June 16th, I will be writing about each of the songs from Melodrama in separate articles. The articles will be longer or shorter based on my thoughts. I have a long way to go, but it will all be worth it!

Listen to Melodrama here!

Mel·o·dra·ma

noun

a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions (Oxford Languages).

Comments

Popular Posts