Hard feelings/Loveless


The "Hard Feelings/Loveless" fusion track is hands down one of my favorite numbers on this album. Lorde's ability to perfectly capture sentiments in a sound shines in this song. If I could go back in time, I would travel to when I first heard this six-minute and seven-second song. This track is such a magical experience; the vocals, production, and lyrics are a masterpiece. It pains me to see how under-appreciated the fusion is and the Melodrama album, in general. 









"Hard Feelings" is more of a reminiscent song, while "Loveless" is like a redemption era. Almost like a trip from dreams to reality. "Hard Feelings" is focused on the glum experience of drifting away from someone. The last verse of the song is so painful, yet optimistic. It's a bittersweet ending to a crashing love story. 


"three years, loved you every single day It was real for me, yup, real for me. Now I'll fake it every single day 'til I don't need fantasy, 'til I feel you leave. But I still remember everything, How we'd drift buying groceries, How you'd dance for me, I'll start letting go of little things 'til I'm so far away from you, Far away from you, yeah"


I'm not going to overanalyze the lyrics, I'm just going to enjoy them. However, I have to point out that the best part of the lyricism is that it highlights the disorder and complexity of life. It shows polarity and truth. 


"Hard Feelings" has my favorite backing track in this album. The music from 2:23 reminds me of a love that rips a heart out. The unique noises incite so much emotional disarray. The vibrant backing track produces such an ethereal experience. Like Lorde's heart is speaking so transcendentally while reminiscing the past. 


Hard Feelings then transitions into a fun, upbeat loveless generation anthem. "Loveless" is very short, but there is a reason why Lorde kept both "Hard Feelings" and "Loveless" together. After Ella faces these hard feelings, she rebounds to becoming loveless. She made the right choice, the songs compliment each other perfectly and build a story. She reflects on the creation of a new loveless generation.


Rating:

"Hard Feelings/Loveless" is an instant classic. The lyrics and instrumental break are incredible. Additionally, the production in this album just keeps on getting better. Everything about this song screams impressive. 


Listen here!

Comments

Popular Posts